« The Art of Saying No -- without Saying No | Sacred Cow Dung Home | Soon-To-Be Myth? FireFox is Less Vulnerable than Internet Explorer (IE) »
September 08, 2005
One for My MISS LIST - TRANSNEURONIX
As per my previous post, this is my inaugural MISS LIST ( or PASS REGRET) post.
This deal was a PASS which came back to haunt me with a vengeance this summer. With this deal, I had some concerns related to the market and the underlying market hypothesis … But rather than risk rationalizing, I think my last notes testify best as to my state of mind at the time I decided to PASS.
completing clinical trials on an implantable gastric stimulator for weigh loss
- IP: TranscendTM Implantable Gastric Stimulator (IGSTM) is a small, battery operated device that is implanted under the skin in the abdomen. The IGS generates electrical pulses that are transmitted to the stomach wall by the Transcend IGS Lead. Operating parameters of the IGS can be checked or changed by an external programmer.
- weight loss alternative to surgery, diet, drugs
- simple procedure for physician (surgeon? GI? Internist?)
- new drugs in pipeline may decrease potential market size dramatically
capital raised to date: ?
Next Steps: PASS — but Track
- Medtronic Acquires Transneuronix, Inc.; Industry Leader In Electrical Stimulation Therapy For The Treatment Of Obesity
- Medtronic To Acquire A Treatment For Obesity
Medtronic, a minority investor in Transneuronix that had supplied it with pacemakers and the technology for programming them, said it would pay $260 million for full control. Medtronic said it planned additional payments at various sales milestones.
In the quarter, Medtronic recorded pre-tax, IPR&D charges totaling $363.8 million related to the acquisition of Transneuronix, Inc.; a patent cross-licensing agreement with NeuroPace, Inc.; and the purchase of intellectual property from Gary K. Michelson, M.D. and Karlin Technologies, Inc.
- Medtronic Goes for Shock Value
- Picking up the Pacing in Obesity: Medtronic acquires Transneuronix
- Medtronic vs. Obesity
- Transneuronix and the cellulite pacemaker - Engadget - www.engadget.com
Once again proving that a little knowledge can lead you down the wrong path.
Posted by cmayaud at 02:49 PM | Permalink| Comments (0)
Del.icio.us Tagging | Digg This | Posted to Business Strategy | MY MISS LIST | PASS Regrets | MY MISS LIST | PASS Regrets | TRENDS | Venture Capital Process
Post a comment
Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)